The Mosin-Nagant's first version was invented in 1891, by Captain
Sergei Ivanovich Mosin and Leon Nagant. This weapon was reffered
to as the Model 1891. This weapon was boolt operated, and had a
5 round magazine that carried 7.62 X 54mm Russian ammuntition.
It weighed 9.77 lbs. unloaded. At the end of the war, some 17,000,000
rifles had been made. The sights were a flip up design. This weapon could
also be fitted with a telescopic sight. This sniper's rifle was made famous
by the most skilled sniper of the war, Vasily Zaitsev, who killed 149 German
This rifle has only a few modifications from the standard Model 1891. The most
notice able was it's length, 11 inches shorter than the 1891 rifle, making it suitable
for calvalry. It was also 1.5 lbs. lighter, and the sights were also modified.
Another version of the M1891, was the 44 carbine, fitted with a folding bayonet on
the right side.
Invented in 1940 by Feodor Tokarev, after fixing the problems with the SVT 38,
the Tokarev SVT 40 was a gas operated semi-automatic rifle. It weighed 8.6 lbs.
unloaded, and held ten 7.62 X 54 Russian rounds. Some 2,000,000 Tokarevs
were made during the course of the war. This rifle was primarily given to Russian
marksmen. This rifle could also be outfitted with a telescopic sight. In 1943, an
automatic fire, called the AVT. This was made to compensate for the lack of auto-
matic weapons that the U.S.S.R. possesed that the time. It was also rumored that
there were 15 or 20 round magazines for this version, but it is unlikely. There was
also a carbine version of the SVT 40 called the SKT 40, but again it is unknown for
sure if this is true. About 264,000 SVT 40's were made during World War Two.
The PPSh-41 was introduced in 1940
in limited numbers, and after it was tested by the Russian army, it was put into wide
scale production in 1942. The PPSh-41 was designed by Georgii Shpagin. In fully-automatic,
the PPSh's muzzle would climb extensively due to the PPSh's rate of fire of 900 rounds a
minute. The selector switch that controlled the rate of fire was in front of the trigger.
The PPSh carried the 7.62mm pistol round, in either a 71 round drum or a 35 round magazine,
although while using the drum magazine, the gun's firing cycle would usually malfunction
if more than 65 rounds were loaded into the weapon. The manufacturing on this weapon
wasn't always reliable. If the magazine was not held by the bottom,the magazine would
sometimes fall out. The PPSh weighed 8 lbs. unloaded. PPSh-41's were usually be made at
a rate of about 3,000 a day. Over 6,000,000 PPSh-41's were made during the course of the war.
In 1942, during the
siege of Lenengrad, the supply of Russian weapons was limited. The Russians need a
weapon that could be produced easily and in mass numbers. They came up with the
PPS-42. The PPS-42 was soon replaced with the PPS-43, which has a folding stock. While
most weapons that are rushed into production and are easy to produce are not the best,
the PPS-43 worked just fine. The PPS-43 had a detachable box magazine that held 35
rounds of 7.62 X 25mm Soviet pistol ammunition. The folding stock on the PPS-43 made
it more compact, ideal for tank crewmen or engineers. The PPS-43 was only capable of
automatic fire. The 35 round magazines that the PPS-43 used could also be used in the
PPSh-43. It had a rate of fire of about 700 rounds a minute. It weighed 7.40 lbs. unloaded.
Around 500,000 PPS-43's were totally produced. Even though not many of these weapons
were made, other communist countries started making their own versions of the PPS-43.
This weapon was first invented in the 1920's, and then re-done
in the 1930's by Feodor V. Tokarev. The TT-30, (as it was called then) looked
similar to the Colt M1911, except it was changed for better reliability and production
reasons. In 1933 it was changed again. The pistol carried 8 rounds of 7.62 X 25mm
ammunition, and weighed 1.83 lbs. unloaded. This pistol is still in production by a
few countries such as Poland, Hungary, China, and North Korea. About 1,700,000 were
made during the World War Two period.
The Nagant revolver was adopted
to the Russian army in 1895. This weapon was produced in two models, single and
double-action. The round the Nagant fired was odd, because the bullet was totally
enclosed in the cartridge. The bullet was a 7.62 X 38 Nagant. It weighed 1.74 lbs.
unloaded, and had a 7 shot cylinder.
The Degtyarev DP was adopted by the Russians in late
1920. As simple as it is, it is still a very reliable machine gun. It's ammuntition pan on
the top carried 47 rounds of rimmed 7.62 X 54 Russian. It weighed over 20 lbs.
unloaded, and was capable of fully automatic fire, with a maximum fire rate of 400-
500 rounds per minute. This weapons drum was tricky to load without having jams. This
weapon however had excellent power and a fairly good rate of fire, and it was also cheap
to make. It wasn't always reliable though like other light machine guns of the time. The Bipod
used on this weapon wasn't very strong. The DP also had a belt fed variant, the RP-46.
Back to Top of Page